It all started back in 1964 in Hoboken, New Jersey . . . on Washington Street, to be exact. Tony Conza and two high school friends had $2,500 in borrowed money and a simple idea - make sandwiches the way you would at home. Choose only the finest quality meats, cheeses and toppings, and pile them high while the customer waits for a fresh, tasty, satisfying sandwich. All they needed was a name. They wanted to call their sandwiches something other than subs or hoagies - to set them apart from the others. So they started going through the dictionary until they came to the word "blimp." The picture looked like the generous sandwiches they wanted to make. This was their "eureka" moment and so BLIMPIE was born! Clearly, the original idea worked and today BLIMPIE has restaurants across the United States and abroad. From day one, customers loved going to BLIMPIE for generous sandwiches that satisfied their appetites with only the freshest ingredients.
BLIMPIE Answers Questions
1. How do I get started?
The first step is to return the online information questionnaire to us. This does not obligate you or Blimpie International, Inc. in any way. The information is simply used to determine whether or not owning a Blimpie restaurant may be right for you. Upon receipt and review, we will contact you to arrange a personal meeting and address your questions. At the first meeting you will be given our Uniform Franchise Offering Circular ("UFOC") for review. This document contains all the information required by the Federal Trade Commission and/or the particular state in which your BLIMPIE restaurant will be located. A copy of our franchise agreement is included in the UFOC. Our UFOC will enable you to diligently investigate our franchise program.
2. What is the initial franchise fee?
The initial franchisee fee for your first franchise is $18,000 and may be reduced for additional franchises based on certain conditions and criteria.
3. What is the term of the franchise agreement?
Your franchise agreement will have an initial term of 15 years followed by two 10-year renewal options.
4. Is there a continuing royalty fee?
The continuing royalty is 6% of gross sales, excluding sales tax.
5. Is there an advertising fee?
Currently the advertising fee is 4% of gross sales.
6. Do I get a protected territory?
No, you do not receive a protected territory.
7. How much money do I need to get started?
The initial franchise fee for your first franchise is $18,000. The initial franchise fee for multiple units may be discounted for additional franchises based on certain conditions and criteria. The build-out of your restaurant, less equipment costs, can range from $20,000 to $130,000 depending on the size and type of location. We also suggest that you have in reserve $15,000-$30,000 for operating expenses until your business is up and running. The estimated initial investment for a traditional BLIMPIE restaurant will be between $114,020 and $341,600.
8. How long does it take to open a BLIMPIE restaurant?
We hesitate to give time frames due to the number of variables that exist. Usually, a BLIMPIE restaurant can be opened within 3 to 6 months from the time a franchise agreement is signed, but may vary due to the following factors:
•the number of existing franchisees who are on the waiting list in your area
•finding a suitable location
9. Will I receive assistance in finding a location for my BLIMPIE restaurant?
Yes, while it is each franchisee's contractual responsibility to find a suitable location, we may voluntarily assist you in this process. We will collectively review all available options and approve a location that is mutually agreed upon and meets our criteria.
10. Who signs the lease?
The master lease will be executed by a Blimpie International, Inc. leasing affiliate. The franchisee will receive the sublease with no additional markup.
11. Do I receive training from BLIMPIE?
Our current training program consists of three segments. The first segment is a minimum of 80 hours of hands-on experience in an operating BLIMPIE restaurant. This practical experience is followed by 80 hours of formal classroom training at BLIMPIE University in Atlanta, Georgia. BLIMPIE University covers all facets of operating a business, such as marketing, accounting, hiring policies and procedures, cash management, customer relations, and other critical business matters. Once this class has been successfully completed, the franchisee must spend an additional minimum 40 hours in a BLIMPIE restaurant to gain more hands-on experience. BLIMPIE will then assist you at the opening of your restaurant.
12. What type of support will I receive?
• An Area Representative may be available for assistance and, if available, will be an integral part of our support in assisting you in your business development
• A BLIMPIE representative will visit regularly and will remain available to answer business questions.
• A series of manuals are also provided in the BLIMPIE University that will assist in the operation of your BLIMPIE restaurant.
• A monthly newsletter is provided to you to keep you informed of new management tips, research and development, and important events occurring throughout the BLIMPIE franchise system.
• The National Franchisee Advisory Council is also an important link with BLIMPIE. Franchisees elected and appointed to this council work with Blimpie International, Inc. to help all BLIMPIE franchisees keep abreast of new developments in the marketplace.
Regional activities are an important part of our continuing education program. This program helps keep franchisees informed on a variety of subjects and provides an opportunity to interact with other franchisees and Blimpie's management team.
13. Can I open more than one store?
Yes. We encourage those franchisees who are qualified to open multiple locations. Based on your application and financial information, you may be eligible to purchase more than one Blimpie franchise up front. Alternatively, you may want to purchase a franchise, become familiar with the business, and then purchase your second or third BLIMPIE franchise.
Grow With Us
Interested in joining the Blimpie International team? There are many opportunities available to franchisees. And, now is a great time to be a part of our winning team.